Phil's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

May 07, 12

Read from January 28 to May 07, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I've been meaning to read the Sandman series for a almost 4 years now, but just never got around to it. Although I read the first couple of issues late in January Work got a little busy and I never found the time to get back to it.mHowever Now that classes are over I finally decided to get going on this again and have finally finished Volume 1!!!!!!

First of all I've gotta say that I was never into comics or Graphic Novels as a kid. However a few years back my brother in law told me I had to read the watchman. I was incredibly impressed with the depth! This was no Archie comic. A little while later one of students told me I had to read The Sandman. So a few years forward and here I am finally putting a dent into the series.

I really enjoyed the first volume. When you are coming into the graphic novel as a newbie it takes a little while to get into the flow, but you soon get into the rhythm and begin to pick up the subtleties of both the graphic and the novel. The whole idea of Morpheus being an Endless and controlling the Dream realm was very foreign to me, but I really enjoyed the trip down the road of destruction and chaos when control was pulled from his grasp. The trip to hell was particularly fascinating. I'm glad the story of Nada is brought to light later in the series. He certainly doesn't forgive easily, but he definitely shows compassion throughout. Although it is hard to discsern between compassion and him simply wanting to maintain the order of things.

Volume ends with our intro to his elder sister Death. Can'nt wait to see some more of that character. I know from the titles of some of the other volumes that we will see some more of her.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 1.