Holli's Reviews > The Heretic's Daughter

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

Jan 10, 09

Read in January, 2009

I am going to say right off the bat that had this been written from Martha Carrier's perspective I think I would have liked this book more. Instead it was written through her daughter's eyes and because of that you only know what her daughter knows. Which isn't much considering she's under 13 for much of the book and living in the 1600's for God's sake where kids weren't privy to the adult information. This book was for me the life of a young girl on a farm in the 1600's with a bit of "Salem Witch Trial" thrown in with that story. I loved the writing and I'm impressed by this first time author for doing a wonderful job of making me feel like I was living in a dungeon and without a shower for most of the book for that matter. I just think I would have enjoyed the adult perspective better because there were alot of things (as the reader)I had questions about that I feel only Martha could have answered for me.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heretic's Daughter.

01/02/2009 page 5
01/05/2009 page 124
37.35% "Finally something "witchy" is happening...." 4 comments
01/07/2009 page 225
67.77% 4 comments
show 16 hidden updates…

Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* I'm dying for this one! Let me know what you think.

Holli It seems good so far......I'm only a few pages in though right now!! ;)

message 3: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Crabtree Holli, I completely agree with you. I just wasn't thrilled by this book and in retrospect you do feel very confined in your vision of what was happening to the family.

message 4: by Holli (last edited Jan 11, 2009 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Holli I wasn't thrilled either. Do you think you would have liked it more if told from Marth's view? I really think I would have.

message 5: by Mary (last edited Jan 13, 2009 08:21AM) (new) - added it

Mary Crabtree Mary wrote: "Good point Holli and I think a switch to 3rd person where we can experience
different characters and their impressions would have been preferable for me.
I would have really liked to see things through the cousins eyes too or at least Martha's sister.