James Carroll's Reviews > Marvelous Work and a Wonder

Marvelous Work and a Wonder by LeGrand Richards

162048
May 03, 10

bookshelves: religious

I would guess that whenever you give a review this bad to a book by a general authority of the Church, some explanation is needed.

As much as I love Elder Richards, that doesn't mean that his book is great. So, what's wrong with it? The book never suggests bible-bashing, and in fact says that bible bashing is a bad idea, but in my experience, the effect of this book on missionaries is nevertheless to encourage debate and bible-bashing.That is not a good way to teach the gospel.

Worse, although the doctrine contained in the book is invariably true, the book tends to see that doctrine in the Bible in places where it doesn't really exist. Thus the book often drastically mis-interprets the Bible in order to see LDS doctrine in it. Although the doctrine is true, it isn't always in the Bible in all the places we sometimes think that it is. So when missionaries argue about the doctrine from this book, first, they shouldn't be arguing at all, and worse, when they do argue, they are wrong more often than not.

Missionaries especially should stay away from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marvelous Work and a Wonder.