Danyelle Leafty's Reviews > Ascend

Ascend by Amanda Hocking

May 06, 12

bookshelves: bookshelf-2012
Read on May 06, 2012

For me, this book crossed from YA into adult. There is a sex scene--no fading to black or closing the door--as well as adultery. While I like my hero(ine)s to be flawed, this particular flaw is something that makes me think less of the character instead of empathizing. There was also no real consequence for the adultery and her non-marriage to Tove resolves too easily.

I didn't mind who she chose in the end, and actually preferred him out of the two. Her choice was clearly set up in book 2 (at least, for me), so it didn't feel like it came out of nowhere. And I really can't fault Amanda Hocking for the whirlwind romance that seems to be the hallmark of paranormal YA nowadays. While both held up their hands to try to stop Wendy from taking unnecessary risks, the one that she chose didn't stifle her the same way the person she didn't choose did. He recognized her right to choose, and while he didn't like some of her choices, helped her anyway instead of forcibly trying to stop her.

I enjoyed watching the relationship between Wendy and Loki develop, but the resolution (big battle) at the end lacked umph. No one (good) died. And, going off the how difficult this battle was supposed to be, someone should have.

Overall, excluding the sex scene, I enjoyed the series. My two biggest complaints are 1) lack of subtlety. I felt like I was being hit over the head by a number of things that were blindingly obvious. 2) Narrative structure: everyone's happy place is different, but for me, there was too much narration. It would have been nice to see some of those parts of the story instead of being told that x, y, and z happened.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascend.