Joanna's Reviews > The Great Book of Amber

The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny

Sep 10, 08

I am still reading this book, and am only into the 3rd book (of the 10 within this book), but wanted to review what I've read so far.
First, the narrative voice is irritating. I didn't care for it at first, but due to the long standing popularity of the series and the sense that the story MUST get better, I forced myself to continue reading. I've gotten used to the first person narrative three books in, and am truly beginning to enjoy the twists and turns of the story. I wanted a good read to pull me away from things, and this story is doing it, although it doesn't grip me as some others have, leaving me anxious to get back to the book to find out what happens next. Instead it's a nice escape when I'm ready for a breather from life, and I enjoy curling up with it, and it doesn't let me down. The writing style seems to change throughout the book, as if the author were trying on a different voice to convey a different feeling, and instead of it flowing into the rest of the story it's jarring and disorienting until you adjust to it. He throws in slang words which are out of place for the story, which is also a little distracting, but thankfully these are few and far between, as they also add a little hiccup to the story as you read along.
In spite of it's flaws, it seems to be a very good story so far, and it seems that it contains some introspection of the main character who begins to wonder at his origins, who he is, and where he fits in his universe, which adds some intruiging depth to an already interesting story. We shall see if this disappoints, or if the author truly can take it another step further and give us some real existential meat to chew on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Book of Amber.