D.w.'s Reviews > The Crisis

1937017
May 06, 12

bookshelves: fiction, reviewed
Read in May, 2012 — I own a copy

In my last review of Poyer's Dan Lenson I had hoped that we would see Lenson get a more meaty role, and this book certainly gives the stage for it. But then Lenson disappears and we become more concerned with countless other parts of the navy that are in theater, then with Lenson himself.

There have been some other tales where Lenson's role in the drama presented here could play well, and certainly a stepping stone for further advancement. But Poyer takes a crisis that certainly evolves over a long period of time and not only takes away the calendar so we can't see how long our hero is tied to the mission, but can't judge how off camera events should be taking to unfold.

The tale, larger than Lenson and the usual events he has to deal with, is dramatic and engaging. That Poyer creates a fictitious nation and starts our Hero with an interaction with it shows that the series could easily move to having our US Navy in the Poyer/Lenson universe have other tales advancing the career of Lenson and giving us meatier engagements.

Why not Admiral Lenson bringing together the many elements of a Task Force? This is the evolution of the tales and we should see more about it. 70% of the earth is covered by water, and most of the goods we need from Oil to soybeans is transported on it.

For this tale I have mentioned that it is dramatic, that the elements covered are fully believable, even more so than in the last book, The Weapon. But Time Scale, and the fact that Lenson still hasn't advanced to be a player at the table, but one who can make a statement to a 4 star, and be heard, then ignored by many levels below that a few chapters later, sends mixed signals. It is time for Captain Lenson and the Commodore Lenson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crisis.