Maria's Reviews > Kill Me Softly

Nov 17, 12

liked it
bookshelves: fairy-tales-and-retellings
Read from August 17 to November 06, 2012

I had mixed feelings after finishing this book. Some parts were fascinating however the characters, particularly Mira, ruined it for me.

I loved the concept of people having to reenact fairy tales, fighting against fate to carve out their own futures, but we don't really see much of that from anyone other than Blue and Mira. Why doesn't Viv (Snow White) run away from her 'wicked stepmother'? Why can't Rafe try to be a bit nicer? Why doesn't anyone leave Beau Rivage?

What i'm trying to get at, is that nobody tries it. I wouldn't have minded if they'd failed, actually that would probably make the story more interesting, but no one is even inclined to try. They all just lounge around waiting for their curses to start or waiting for a cursed person to come along so they can rescue them.

My other problem with this story was the protagonist. Mirabelle Lively. She is supposed to be intelligent and hatches an ingenious plan to get to Beau Rivage, but when she gets there we find that she has left her intelligence behind. and her kindness. And then hooks up with a 21-year-old, did I mention she was almost sixteen? And apparently falls in love with him in a couple of days.

However, I enjoyed the witty banter between the characters, and the way Mira used her curse to her advantage. So overall an okay story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill Me Softly.

Quotes Maria Liked

“Because, if you could love someone, and keep loving them, without being loved back . . . then that love had to be real. It hurt too much to be anything else.”
Sarah Cross, Kill Me Softly

“You couldn't hide from bad things and pretend they didn't exist–that left you with a dream world, and dream worlds eventually crumbled. You had to face the truth. And then decide what you wanted.”
Sarah Cross, Kill Me Softly

“A naked blade hid nothing, feared nothing. She wanted to be like that. Because that was how you found yourself, created yourself. You didn't hide. You didn't wait for the perfect moment to settle on you like a butterfly, like magic.

You went out and made magic. Made your own wishes come true.”
Sarah Cross, Kill Me Softly

“I'm looking for freedom with a side of restraining order, but everything just comes with bacon.”
Sarah Cross, Kill Me Softly

“I'm starting to think it was a mistake to introduce you to the whole gang," he said.

Rafe was still hitting on Layla; Layla was fighting with him, insisting that fairies didn't turn good people into monsters, they just exposed the monstrousness that was already there; and Freddie was doing his best to play peacemaker, or etiquette coach from 1850, or whatever he thought he was doing. Henley was watching the group from outside, leaning against the window, smoking a cigarette. Viv was sawing into an apple tart with a masochistic grin on her face.

"No wonder you're such a freak," Mira said finally.”
Sarah Cross, Kill Me Softly

“Do you know where Blue is? Can you get him for me? Please?"

"Frederick," Bliss said. "Do you always bring a sword to a pool party? You are familiar with the concept of rust, I hope."

"I - yes, of course," Freddie said, looking as if he wasn't sure whom to answer first, but deferring to the fairy out of respect for his magical elders. "I have it in case there's trouble, and I need to decapitate Fel - er, someone. Anyone, rather. Anyone in need of decapitation."

"Frederick, that is very disturbing," Bliss said. "I do hope you're joking."

"Where's Blue?" Mira shouted.”
Sarah Cross, Kill Me Softly

“It was hard to be honest, to open up, and reveal something that sounded crazy. Because once you told someone the truth, that person had a piece of you—and they could belittle it, destroy it. They could turn your confession into a wound that never healed.”
Sarah Cross, Kill Me Softly

“They said every year was a gift, not a guarantee, and ought to be celebrated accordingly.”
Sarah Cross, Kill Me Softly

“So many fairy tales were about breaking taboos, and being punished for crossing lines you shouldn't have crossed.

Touching a spindle you were forbidden to touch. Inviting a witch into your cottage, and accepting the shiny apples she brought you, even though you knew better, because you wanted them.

And while most heroes or heroines managed to scratch or scheme their way out of peril, it was easier to avoid doing something stupid in the first place. Smarter, better, and infinitely less fraught with regret.”

10/28/2012 page 45