Tammy 's Reviews > How I Write: Secrets of a Bestselling Author

How I Write by Janet Evanovich

Oct 09, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads, writing, humor
Read in March, 2009

As a fan of the wildly popular Stephanie Plum series and a wanna-be writer, I couldn't help picking up a copy of Janet Evanovich's guide to writing. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was written in the same fun and easy-to-read style as her books.

The format is simple Q's and A's - taken directly from questions posted by her fans on Evanovich's website. Various entertaining excerpts from the Stephanie Plum series are used as examples. Useful tips and how to's are included.

Evanovich spills the beans about how she creates and names her whacky characters, writes dialogue, POV, creates suspense and mystery through action, and why she continues blowing up cars.

When asked how she writes sex scenes, Evanovich notes she needs a "couple glasses of cheap champagne and a bucket of M&M's".

She also names Tom Jones singing "Sex Bomb", John Travolta's dancing, the movie "Captain Ron", Eminem videos (really?!), birthday cake, jelly donuts, the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland and the Rock naked as her inspiration. (I always suspected the Rock had something to do with Ranger's character!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Write.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Sounds like a neat book, Tammy. May check this one out myself. :-) Thanks for the intel.

Tammy If you have an interest in writing, Kathrynn, this book is inspiring and helpful with writing query letters, manuscript format, etc.

Have you read any of Evanovich's books?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I love that Indiana Jones ride, too. It's the best ride in the Disneyland park (with Space Mountain a close second). :)

message 4: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim The Rock is used in a lot of my hero 'visuals'. MMM HMM.

Tammy Kim wrote: "The Rock is used in a lot of my hero 'visuals'. MMM HMM."

Me too! I don't have Joe Morelli figured out yet tho ...

message 6: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn I've read "One for the Money" and enjoyed it. The Rock is my visual on some characters, too.

message 7: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim Tammy wrote: "Kim wrote: "The Rock is used in a lot of my hero 'visuals'. MMM HMM."

Me too! I don't have Joe Morelli figured out yet tho ..."

I think Ranger is hotter, but I want Morelli to win over all. I stopped reading after 10. I need to catch back up.

Tammy You're not missing too much, Kim. I think the best books in the series were 1-6. The rest of the series is OK - just enough to keep me hooked - but definitely not as good. They're a little over-the-top. I want Stephanie to make up her mind already and be done with it!

message 9: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim Me too! I agree--I really the like first 5 or 6 (it's been a while since I read them), but then they all just became the same. I think it's time to end it.