Jennifer's Reviews > 100 Selected Poems

100 Selected Poems by E.E. Cummings

Sep 14, 14

bookshelves: poetry, owned
Read from August 27 to 29, 2014

My very last book for the book bingo challenge! I was under major time crunch, and should have known better than to pick poetry for a fast read, but it was "a book with a number in the title," and it fit both the poetry category and the to-read categories of my personal reading resolutions for the year, which have been sadly neglected during the book bingo scramble this summer.

I spent the first half of this book struggling with how to read it. A few already known poems I loved, and a few more sparkled, but too many I failed to connect with. About halfway through I finally realized I needed to stop reading the poems and start listening to them in my brain. Then they finally came alive. The last twelve or so I actually read aloud to myself on a bench near Impression 5 when I got to work early the last day of the summer program. I hope no one overheard me as I'm sure I would have sounded crazy, but it was lovely.

I didn't fully unpack these poems in the mode of my ModPo class, and I have some regrets about that, but I enjoyed the experience all the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Selected Poems.

08/27/2014 marked as: currently-reading
08/30/2014 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by h (new)

h i am constantly reading or reciting poems as i walk to work. be the crazy out loud poem lady! :D

Jennifer my new strategy for how to stay unmessed with by random strangers on the river trail.

message 3: by h (new)