Lindsay's Reviews > Playing for Keeps

5206569
Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: reviews
Read from July 14 to 15, 2012

I’ve seen this book around Amazon and Goodreads for quite a while, and it’s gotten such great ratings and reviews; but I was always worried that it wouldn’t live up to what everyone said about it…so I put off reading it.

Then the unthinkable happened….I was down to only $0.99 on my Amazon account and while searching for a book to read, I came across this series. I decided to just jump into it and not look back…and I’m thankful I did. I loved this book. I’m now kicking myself that I didn’t read it sooner and that I was so leery of it in the past.

I loved the friendship between Jason and Haley. They were a fun couple to read, even before they became a couple. I love books with friends who turn into lovers. They always have a great depth to their relationship that comes from being friends first and Jason and Haley were no exception. And once they got together….I loved Jason and Haley as a couple.

I couldn’t put this book down and I found myself wishing that it would never end.

I have to say, Jason’s obsession with food (particularly stealing Haley’s food) was hilarious! I especially loved the scenes with Jason’s family and the competition between Jason and his father over food. I could go on forever about everything I loved about this book.

I’ll definitely be reading the rest of this series and all the other books by R.L. Mathewson.

How I saw Jason as I was reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing for Keeps.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keren (last edited Jul 15, 2012 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keren Hi Lindsey, I also just finished this book and loved it! I felt like their conflict was a little bit forced, but I enjoyed them so much that I didn't really care... Are you going to read the second book?

Lindsay Hi Keren! *waving*

Lol. Yup! I just bought it and I'm going to start it now. :D

The conflict wasn't the best (and the "friends" were horrible!) but I can overlook it since I loved the book. I think what bothered me more than anything was the conflict when Jason was trying to make up with her. The scene in the restaurant (with the cover band conversation) had me rolling my eyes.

But, that minor irritation wasn't enough to change my feelings for an otherwise great book.

Keren I loved the part where she meets his family... I thought it was hilarious!

Lindsay Same here, his family was great and I especially loved his father. The two of them made me crack up! I also loved his reaction when his family didn't believe that they were dating!

Karla Great review and beautiful pic! Now read book 2, Jason and his food obsession continues and there is a LMAO moment with him and Haley. I loved both books and can't wait for the next one!

Amy ** thebookmuseSubClubBooks ** J Book 3 comes out on July 27th..yeahhh

Kellie G. Great review!! I adored this book & the next!

Amy ** thebookmuseSubClubBooks ** J oh and she wrote a paranormal romance trilogy which is pretty good. Book 2 was redundant but the overall story is good. Sentinel pyte series Tall, Dark and Lonely by R.L. Mathewson

Karla Amy wrote: "oh and she wrote a paranormal romance trilogy which is pretty good. Book 2 was redundant but the overall story is good. Sentinel pyte series Tall, Dark and Lonely by R.L. Mathewson"

I agree...I loved the first book, the 2nd one not so much!

Lindsay Thanks Karla! I've already bought it and I'm ready to start it. However, I have a bone to pick with you...why didn't you tell me how amazing this series is?!?!?!?!?!?!?!.

Lindsay Amy wrote: "Book 3 comes out on July 27th..yeahhh"

Yay!!! I knew it was coming out, but I didn't know it was coming out so soon! I can't wait to get it. :D

Karla Lindsay wrote: "Thanks Karla! I've already bought it and I'm ready to start it. However, I have a bone to pick with you...why didn't you tell me how amazing this series is?!?!?!?!?!?!?!."

I did...you even checked my reviews out when I first posted them...I think?!

Lindsay Amy wrote: "oh and she wrote a paranormal romance trilogy which is pretty good. Book 2 was redundant but the overall story is good. Sentinel pyte series Tall, Dark and Lonely by R.L. Mathewson"

I saw this series, but I wasn't sure I would like it. I was considering the Hollywood Hearts series after I finish Perfection.

Lindsay Karla wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "Thanks Karla! I've already bought it and I'm ready to start it. However, I have a bone to pick with you...why didn't you tell me how amazing this series is?!?!?!?!?!?!?!."

I did......"

Lol. I know I read your reviews, and I did put them on my TBR list, but I was still unsure about them. You should have yelled louder. I probably couldn't hear you over Alyssa trying to get me to read Avoiding Commitment.

Amy ** thebookmuseSubClubBooks ** J Lindsay wrote: "Amy wrote: "oh and she wrote a paranormal romance trilogy which is pretty good. Book 2 was redundant but the overall story is good. Sentinel pyte series Tall, Dark and Lonely by R.L. Mathewson"

I saw ..."

I haven't read the Hollywood Hearts series . If you like paranormal romance you will like it. shoot all her books are .99 so you can read them all! I think I still loan the sentinel series on nook.

Lindsay Lol. That's what I was thinking too. As soon as I put another gift card on my account, I'm going to buy all of her books that I don't currently have. I like her writing so there isn't an issue of not liking them, or regretting buying them.

Karla Lindsay wrote: "Karla wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "Thanks Karla! I've already bought it and I'm ready to start it. However, I have a bone to pick with you...why didn't you tell me how amazing this series is?!?!?!?!?!?!..."

Damn pushy girl and loud too...all those bold shouty caps!! LOL!

Gotta luv her!

Lindsay LOL! Yes, yes she is!

*whispers* She's still trying to torture me with Avoiding Commitment. I'm trying to hold out though!

But you're right, you gotta love her. :D

Vicki So happy you liked this one...this one was great but book two was my fave!!!! Can't wait for the next! :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Great review, love the pic. I loved this book as well. The family and their food cracks me up. Just wait until you read Perfection it is hysterical.

message 21: by Lindsay (last edited Jul 15, 2012 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lindsay Vicki wrote: "So happy you liked this one...this one was great but book two was my fave!!!! Can't wait for the next! :)"

I even more excited to read book 2 now! I almost skipped book one and started book 2, but Karla talked me out of it. I'm glad she did because then I might have missed a great book, but I'm really looking forward to 2.

Lindsay JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) wrote: "Great review, love the pic. I loved this book as well. The family and their food cracks me up. Just wait until you read Perfection it is hysterical."

Thanks JoJo. :D

I love my baked goods too, but they cracked me up!

Keren Lindsay wrote: "Karla wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "Thanks Karla! I've already bought it and I'm ready to start it. However, I have a bone to pick with you...why didn't you tell me how amazing this series is?!?!?!?!?!?!..."

She got me also to read Avoiding Commitment (#1) by K.A. Linde... How did she not get you yet? Is she aware of it?

Lindsay Lol. Yes she's aware of it. She keeps trying but I'm holding out. I don't mind angst but I just don't see me enjoying Avoiding Commitment!

She wore me down on Thoughtless & Effortless, so I know I'll eventually give in and read Avoiding Commitment but it's not going to be anytime soon.

Keren Have you read Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) by Jill Shalvis series? If you loved playing for keeps, you would LOVE this series!

Lindsay No, I haven't. I'll definitely add it to my TBR list and check it out! Thanks. :D

Keren Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) by Jill Shalvis is the first in the series and it's a funny hot sexy read!

Lindsay I know I've seen the series before, but I don't know why I haven't read them. I'll definitely check the out!

Regina Ward I am excited to read the series since reading your review and all the comments. I had to purchase them and can't wait to start them tonight! Thanks ladies! :)

Karla Lindsay wrote: "LOL! Yes, yes she is!

But you're right, you gotta love her. :D"

Do we have to break out Samurai Squirrel???

Lindsay Regina wrote: "I am excited to read the series since reading your review and all the comments. I had to purchase them and can't wait to start them tonight! Thanks ladies! :)"

I hope you enjoy them Regina! I'm really glad that I finally started this series. :D

message 32: by ✿Alyssa✿ (new)

✿Alyssa✿ Awesome review girlfriend! I'm so glad that you loved this book so much! I may have to read it sometime in the near future! =)

Lindsay Karla wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "LOL! Yes, yes she is!

But you're right, you gotta love her. :D"

Do we have to..."

Lol. I might have to resort to that!

Lindsay ♥Alyssa♥ wrote: "Awesome review girlfriend! I'm so glad that you loved this book so much! I may have to read it sometime in the near future! =)"

Thanks Alyssa! I think you might enjoy this one since you liked book 2.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Great review, Lindsay. I love the pic.

Lindsay Thanks Kristen. :D

I'm really going through her books quickly. I just finished my third book (Sudden Response). I can't wait to start another one.