Heather's Reviews > The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy

May 08, 12

Read in May, 2012

I'm in love with this book! I read this book so fast I'm going to have to read it again but once you start it's so addictive you just can't stop. It's like eating potato chips or M&M's you can't read just one page or chapter.
Links to the other blogs participating are below my review. Thanks for stopping by!

Ever wondered about what happened after Happily Ever After? I have. I have always wondered. Well wait no more! This book tells it all and doesn't hold back. Four Prince Charmings and the true story of how they became Prince Charmings. And their real names. And if you don't find this book imaginative and funny, my name isn't Buried in Books. (It isn't really.) But there are asides from the narrator, looks into what the individual princes are thinking at certain times and it's all told with a sense of exaggeration and the absurd that just works because it's the fairy tale told from the other side, the after.

Frederic is foppish and I'd say rather a mama's boy if it weren't for the fact that his father made him that way. Scared of the outside world. His princess wants a taste of adventure and she is tired of the endless picnics and walks in the gardens. She leaves on a quest to find someone that's missing and that starts the action of this entire tale. Frederic is not going to let his princess go so easily and so with the help of his valet, Reginald, he gets on a horse and goes after her, in a white suit, with epaulets with tassels and not a clue how to ride a horse, which direction to go or what to do when he gets there.

Gustav, on the other hand, is itching for a fight. He'll fight anything that comes along because he got the raw end of the deal in his hero story. Now he's a laughing stock and needs to prove himself. He's got sixteen brothers who are heroes and he is not (I believe actually the mother is the hero here, just sayin).
So he goes charging in even when there isn't a hero situation. This sets him up as more of a laughing stock so to say he's a grump and fighting mad, is putting it mildly.

Liam, he just wants to meet the girl he's going to marry before they marry, get to know her. But what he meets is a nightmare. Spoiled, mean, bossy and a bit of a showoff with her jewels and gold. He wants to run in the other direction and he actually is a hero, performing acts of heroism on a daily basis. But that doesn't seem to matter to anyone when he decides he doesn't want to marry the spoiled brat that he's been promised to since he was a toddler and who he rescued.

And then there's Duncan. Weird and wonderful Duncan who always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Who just seems to have good luck. He falls into good fortune all the time. He's misunderstood but he embraces his weirdness and thankfully others do too.

When these four Prince Charmings or is it Princes Charming? Anyway, when they get together, it's a comedy of errors. Like two pairs of mismatched roommates. Like the football quarterback, the debate team captain, the rebellious bully and the AV guy (do they still have AV clubs?) formed a club. Frederic raised his hand to ask questions.
Gustav was always rushing into battle even if there was no battle. Duncan would shout out, naming animals as they went. And Liam would try to find a way to be the hero while keeping the others out of the plans.

Favorite lines from the ARC-

Frederic raised his hand.
"Frederic, do you , uh, have a question?" Liam asked.
Frederic sniffled and nodded. "I don't know how to use a sword."
"Oh that's right," Duncan said. "Neither do I."
"Go team," Gustav said in a mock cheer. p.188

So who would love this book? Anyone! It's got adventure, romance, monsters, mystery, sibling rivalry, the weird kid, the swoon worthy prince, the muscle, and the good dresser. Four heroes! Continuations on classic fairy tales. Even if you don't like fairy tale retellings, this isn't a retelling, this is after the fact.
It really is priceless! Very well written, with a sense of humor, friendship, danger and purpose.
There is even a lesson in it. Honestly how can you not read it?

And, don't forget, as I always say, to read the Prologue!!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom.