Cheryl's Reviews > Kiss My Tiara: How to Rule the World as a SmartMouth Goddess

Kiss My Tiara by Susan Jane Gilman

May 06, 2012

Read from May 06 to June 02, 2012

I saw this book at the library and thought it looked like a fun book to read and it sure was! The author talks about how women do so many things like plucking our eyebrows so we can draw them back on with a pencil (you will never catch me doing that personally–yes I pluck but I like to keep some eyebrows!), make yourself look nice by wearing shoes that give you varicose veins and bunions (ok, I am guilty of this I admit!), having leaky water balloons surgically embedded in your chest (um, nope), etc. Yes, these things seem crazy yet some do them! Who came up with all of this anyway! Yes, the media is a lot to blame. All these beautiful women that you see on magazines and TV don’t help. We love to look beautiful and sexy. I admit that I don’t go very far without my makeup done. I just feel so naked. If I can make myself look better, you better believe I am going to do what I have to if that means makeup, heels, hair color, extensions, whatever. I am not trying to look like anyone else though. I am my own person and want to be unique. The book also talks about how we need to appreciate our own natural looks and not drive ourselves crazy. I don’t feel like I drive myself crazy over the way I look. Yes I see the author’s point that famous beauties are not always happy, they can be miserable too. I would be miserable if I couldn’t fix myself up like I want though. I know people that don’t dress up or wear makeup. That’s just who they are. I don’t like them any less, but that’s just not me. It would be a boring world if everyone was the same anyway! It also talks about not liking your body and being in high school. I didn’t feel good about myself at all in high school. I am much more confident now in myself. Yes there are things about my body I don’t like, but I’m working out to change it.

The author says exactly how she feels in this book which I love. She doesn’t hold anything back! If you don’t like something, speak up! Stand your ground! To often, she says, we are afraid to speak up. “We swallow our frustration and it turns into depression and tumors. Who needs that? Besides the people who live the longest are invariably tough old bastards. Take my grandmother. She whacked men on the shin with her cane if they hogged the armrest at the movie theatre–and she lived to ninety-one. Want health and longevity? Be a pain in the ass.” (loc. 364 on Kindle). “Women’s Relationship with food can be more complicated than our relationship with our mothers. Strange as it may seem, many of us feel we actually need permission to eat.” (Loc. 433 on Kindle) Boy, isn’t that the truth! “If we gals could stop focusing so much on our looks and start redirecting that energy toward our minds instead, we’d create even more serious competition in the job market.” (Loc. 597 on Kindle).

If you are looking for a fun book to read, I would recommend this to my friends! A lot of good points are brought up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss My Tiara.