Alexa's Reviews > The Summer My Life Began

May 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: advisory-2011-2012
Read in May, 2012

Elizabeth Margaret, Em, for short, gets invited to spend the summer before she goes off to college with her aunt that she had never met. Her parents and grandmother is against it because her aunt Tilly doesn’t exactly fit in with the family. But Em, and her younger sister, Gwynny convince her parents to let her go. Now at the beach, Em is living a totally different life. She is cooking, something she loves but her parents, and especially her mom never lets her. She also met some new people, who she probably would have never even talked to if she were back home. One person is Cale, who is very different from her, and is mysterious. Also, while she is there, Em discovers a giant family secret that changes her life.
I thought this novel was pretty good. It was definitely shocking when the reader would find out the family secret, but other than that it was just like a summer romance story. I thought it was interesting to see that the author, Shannon Greenland decided to make the family secret be talked about more and revealed towards the end of the story. Overall, I enjoyed reading this because I liked the characters Greenland created. For just one book, Em realized who she was and found a voice for herself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer My Life Began.