Charlyn 's Reviews > Cheesie Mack Is Not a Genius or Anything

Cheesie Mack Is Not a Genius or Anything by Steve Cotler

May 06, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, friendship, humor, realistic-fiction, school_story, series, sibling-rivalry
Recommended for: Grades 4 and up
Read from May 05 to 06, 2012 , read count: 1

Ronald "Cheesie" Mack and his friend Georgie are finishing up the final days of the school year and looking forward to graduation and the party afterward. After that comes their time together at camp, a tradition for the two friends...which comes to a halt when Georgie's father announces that there is no money for him to attend. As a loyal friend, Cheesie announces that, if his friend won't go, neither will he. So, bummer summer....

And perhaps it would have ended there had Georgie not located an old envelope in his basement--a letter addressed to a stranger and containing a penny and a necklace with a locket. Or, as two fifth graders would call it, a mystery to be solved.

Within a very few days, Cheesie and Mack pack a number of activities into their lives including trying to stay out of trouble so they can attend the party, attempting to solve the mystery of the letter, and making life miserable for Cheesie's sister, June (or, Goon, as they prefer to call her). Along the way, the narrative (in Cheesie's voice) includes lists, illustrations, some attempts at writing science fiction, and a number of words explained by the author. And many references to his website--which really does exist with all the information he says will be there and the opportunity for readers to add more.

I enjoyed the story more than I thought I would and I now look forward to reading the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cheesie Mack Is Not a Genius or Anything.