Stacia's Reviews > Ascend

May 06, 2012

bookshelves: re-read, favorites
Recommended for: Romance-Junkies, Troll-Lovers
Read from May 06 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** 5 out of 5 stars!

Now, I know a lot of people were not to excited to see Hocking come out of her e-book self, but I couldn't be more happy with her and the Trylle Trilogy. Ascend had everything I love in a book. A great ending, especially, since it was the last of the Trilogy. Amazing.

Ascend follows Wendy, Finn, Loki, Tove and the rest of the gang through the enemies castle. Wendy has come to the conclusive reality that Finn is not the one for her- he pays more attention to his job and rules, than he ever would, her. He won't fight for her. However, the enemy-man, Loki, is constantly willing to put himself in danger, just to get word to her about his circumstances. And best of all, Wendy falls for him. Quickly. Almost too quick. She's worried about her marriage with Tove, and how he (or anyone) would act, if she was found out. Thankfully, though, Tove understands, and Wendy admits to Tove that she knows why he isn't... "attracted" to Wendy. He's not mad. That's a relief.

In the mix of their crazy love... rectangle?, they are still having to deal with the bigger picture- the fact that Wendy's Father, leader of the enemy, is trying to destroy the Trylle. It's only a matter of time before he brings his reign down on Wendy's civilization. She makes a quick compromise with her Father, one that backfires right in her face. Especially considering that the Queen is slowly losing her battle with life.

Wendy is torn- do what is best for her community of Trylle (while more and more of them seem to dislike her everyday), or do what is best for herself- which could mean either leaving behind the people she loves, or continue with a lifetime of running away from the problem her Father has caused.

While the action in the story could have been extremely more descriptive and fulfilling (it lacked. Incredibly), I will commend Hocking on her choice of having Wendy fall in love with someone I wasn't expecting. I expected a whole love triangle, just to move the books along, with Wendy running back to whom she started with.

I was shocked. Surprised. I couldn't believe it. I loved Ascend and I think it would be awesome if Hocking wrote from the point of view of the Vittra. Do whole books of the point of views of Loki, and Tove. Possibly Finn. That would be amazing.

A book I will be pulling off the shelf, again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascend.

Quotes Stacia Liked

Amanda Hocking
“I don't want only one night. I want all the nights. I want all of you, forever.”
Amanda Hocking, Ascend

Amanda Hocking
“Everything’s not exactly the way it seems ” I said.
“It seemed like you had your tongue down his throat ” Finn glared at us both.
“Well then everything is exactly as it seems ” Loki said glibly.”
Amanda Hocking, Ascend

05/09/2012 page 180
54.0% "So. Frikkin. Upsetting."