Lady Krishna's Reviews > Defy

Read in March, 2012

3.5 Stars

This review was originally posted on my blog
Journey with Books

Defy is the first book I've ever read from Ms. Raine Thomas and I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised. Defy is the first book of First Born Trilogy which is a spin off series from Ms. Raine Thomas' other series which was entitled The Daughters of Saraqael.

I could say that Defy was definitely a very nice read for me. The world that Ms. Raine Thomas built in this book was pretty fascinating although at times, it confuse me. The glossary did help me untangle a bit of the confusion.

The characters are also nice to get to know. They are complex but also relatable. Tate, the heroine in the book is young and her naivete made her more real. She made a mistake of defying her parents and she got into a big trouble. Zachariah is also an intriguing character. He is so fun to read. They do have chemistry together but I wished that chemistry could have been explored more in a more believable sense.

The other characters are pretty fascinating too. To tell you the truth, I think their own adventure when they were looking for Tate is the part I liked most of this book.

The plot is pretty basic if you took out all of the fantasy and magic that is in the story. It's a story of a girl who defied her parents and went out on her own, thinking she could do it. But! alas she's wrong. Tate's journey into realizing how her parents knows what is best for her is really nice to read. Also the adventure and actions made it all very exciting!

The pacing of the story is just quite right. It made me enjoy Tate's journey in the wilderness!

The only problem I had with this book is the romance part. I found it lacking. Not that there wasn't any romance in it. There is, but I couldn't make myself believe in the love that they shared. Tate and Zachariah's interactions are pretty limited to their dream connection. It actually bothers me because I don't think they know each other that well.

Overall, I think this is a nice read. If you're looking for a YA read that is full of magic, adventure, a little bit of romance and a journey to self discovery of one's real strength.. then you should definitely check this book out!

This review was originally posted on my blog
Journey with Books

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defy.