JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > Night

Night by Elie Wiesel

Honestly, I can't help but feel that for me to sit in judgment of a memoir of the Holocaust would be terribly presumptuous. We can't ever forget what happened, and any work that reminds us of what happened is important and should be read as widely as possible. The style is a little sparse for me, but do we really need lavish descriptions of crematoriums? I didn't think so. What is important is that Wiesel laid out his thoughts and feelings for all the world to see, an act of unimaginable courage. It is amazing to me how quickly he and the other prisoners were stripped of their very humanity. It is also amazing how tiny acts of kindness stand out in his memory. But we all know those were too few and far between. Just read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vicki You said it well.

message 3: by Felina (new) - added it

Felina Ooo you gave me goosebumps. Is it weird that I love reading holocaust and civil rights/descrimination books? I think its important to be reminded and outraged at things like this so they never happen again. Good review!!

Becky Felina wrote: "Ooo you gave me goosebumps. Is it weird that I love reading holocaust and civil rights/descrimination books? I think its important to be reminded and outraged at things like this so they never happ..."

Not weird at all, Felina. I'm the very same way.

JG (The Introverted Reader) I love to read Holocaust books, but I haven't read that many civil rights books. Not sure why. It's partly because I don't know that many titles, and partly because I love reading about WWII in general, so I just stumble on more Holocaust novels. I have to admit that I've never read Anne Frank though. I may grab it when I head out to the library tomorrow.

Becky I guess I was just thinking along the lines of "human rights" books - about atrocities, and theft of liberties, and prejudices, and racism, and hate and the like. For some reason, I just gravitate toward those.