Andrea's Reviews > What a Boy Needs

What a Boy Needs by Nyrae Dawn

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-young-adult
Read on May 22, 2012

Recently, I read a great book, WHAT A BOY WANTS (my review). I immediately fell in love with the story, the characters, and author Nyrae Dawn's ability to tell a great story and feel so much for her characters. So you can imagine how happy I was when I learned Nyrae was writing a companion book from Jaden's point of view, WHAT A BOY NEEDS. I received an advanced copy of this book and dove in whole-heartedly. I was thrilled to revisit the gang and to learn more about Jaden.

What I learned....broke my heart. Jaden's home life is so devastating. There were hints that things weren't good in WaBW. But to actually face it was wrenching. This poor, sweet boy who appears to be carefree and always up for a good time, he endures so much. The constant onslaught of verbal abuse, being told he's nothing, a mistake; it starts to play with Jaden's mind and causes him to lose himself. He begins to believe he's not good enough for Bastian, Aspen, and Pris.

Pris. She has loved Jaden for so long. But he didn't see her that way. Then, we he finally did, Jaden didn't think he was worthy of her love. It's easy to see why Jaden is so in love with Priscilla. The girl is straight-up intense. She's funny, fiercely loyal, strong, and does not care that her family has more money than sense. The girl who appears to have it all, is lacking the one thing she wants the most: someone to love her and put her first. She wants Jaden. Wants him to be open and trust her. Jaden loves her, but can't open up. Their struggle towards one another is intense and beautiful. And what I love about Nyrae Dawn's storytelling is that she uses the "quiet" moments to as much effect as the big gestures. The little things, like knowing which eyebrow ring they would like best, or making sure the person you love gets the right drink (Cherry Pepsi, sigh...), those are the pieces of the puzzle that make a great love.

So yeah, WHAT A BOY NEEDS is intense and dramatic. But it is also laugh-out-loud, hysterically funny. Exactly what you expect when Jaden and Bastian get together. Gah. I love those boys. I'm not going to spoil it, because I honestly busted out laughing while reading it, but GRADUATION!! (I'm looking at you Autumn and Val!) Another big moment was packing the car. (DO IT HARDER!) I've seriously been tweeting that line to Autumn a lot. Classic.

I am so happy with WHAT A BOY NEEDS. I cried for at least thirty minutes after I'd finished. I was sad for Jaden's past, but hopeful for his future. I was sad that the story was over, yet thrilled beyond belief with how it ended. The story comes to a full, beautifully written circle. A true treasure that I will not soon forget. I loved WHAT A BOY WANTS so much. I loved Bastian and Aspen. I still love that story. It was funny and heart-warming. Believe it or not, I think I may love WHAT A BOY NEEDS even more. Just do me a favor and don't tell Bastian, okay?

Favorite Quote:

I chose two quotes; one funny, one heartbreaking.

" 'First of all, you're nuts. I'm way hotter than you and second, I'm being serious, man. We're like, Batman and Robin. Scooby and Shaggy. Acutally, none of those duos have sh*t on us. We're Sebastian and Jaden.' " (pg 36, eARC)

"Before he fell for Aspen, Sebastian didn't believe in love. I always wanted to - I just didn't know if I was worthy of it. But when she says it? This girl who can do anything? It's like a law. If she can love me, I must be worth something, right?" (page 124, eARC)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What a Boy Needs.

05/22/2012 page 10
8.06% "So good. Jaden breaks my heart."
05/22/2012 page 36
29.03% ""We're like, Batman and Robin. Scooby and Shaggy. Actually, none of those duos have sh*t on us. We're Sebastian and Jaden."" 2 comments
05/22/2012 page 83
66.94% "Jaden..."
05/22/2012 page 123
99.19% ""I see you. To me, you're everything.""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen And excellent review, makes me want to read this book even more.

Andrea Thank you! Hope you enjoy it.