Caitlin's Reviews > The Chalk Girl

The Chalk Girl by Carol O'Connell

2209914
Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012

It's been five long years since the last Mallory novel. I honestly wasn't sure that there'd be another one - the last one could've been a series ender. Yet Mallory is back in The Chalk Girl and that makes me very very happy.

There's no one else like Mallory in crime fiction. Smart, enigmatic, damaged, manipulative, possibly sociopathic, yet brilliant in her role as a cop - perhaps because for Mallory winning is the number one priority so she takes risks and makes connections in her head that others do not. Surrounded by the wonderful support system that her foster father, a cop, left her, Mallory remains in constant trouble with the NYPD, but always manages to turn that trouble to her own advantage (and that's very fun to watch).

This book involves a lost child, bodies in trees, and lots and lots and lots of rats. The first part of the book is both hysterically funny and horribly macabre all at the same time - if you read none of the rest of it, at least read that part. It'll give you a healthy respect for rats.

Always smart, always fun, always different, and never boring this is a great entry in the Mallory series. If you haven't read these books, you are missing out and I wish I was you. I'd love to go back to the first book and read it like a new discovery. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chalk Girl.