Amanda's Reviews > Eternal Kiss of Darkness

Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost

May 06, 2012

it was ok
Read in May, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This review is really hard for me to write because I LOVE Jeaniene Frost's books. The Night Huntress series was one of my all time favorites and I'm constantly recommending it to others. Unfortunately, I was incredibly bored by Eternal Kiss of Darkness. I don't know if this is because I never really warmed to Mencheres or if I'm just burnt out on her books. I suspect it is the former. I also suspect that a huge part of my love for the Night Huntress books is that I have a huge crush on Bones. These are the things about this book that I disliked:

- Mencheres is presented as so powerful that I never worried about him and Kira losing... ever. While clearly I like my main characters to live I get bored if they never seem to be challenged. I want the victory to seem to be in doubt at times even if I always know that the good guys will win in the end.
- The final battle scene is pretty boring... it basically hinges on a phone call. Seriously.
- The humor that is typical of a Jeaniene Frost book is almost completely lacking in this book. How witty her books usually are is one of the main reasons that I like them.
- I didn't really like how Cat and Bones came across during their cameo. They seemed distrusting, disloyal, and just not very nice. They read differently to me then they did in their own books.
- Kira is picked to train to be an Enforcer even though she is only a 2 week old vampire. Why? This made no sense to me. The only reason for this seems to be so that she comes across as "special" like Cat and Denise. It just made me snort in disbelief.

I still love Jeaniene Frost and eagerly await her future books (particularly more Cat and Bones books) but I was just bored by this one and found myself skimming just to finish faster. I do think that if I had liked Mencheres better then I probably would have enjoyed this book. If you like the Night Huntress books and you enjoy the character of Mencheres then you will probably enjoy this book... it just wasn't for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eternal Kiss of Darkness.