Sisi's Reviews > The Stone Key

The Stone Key by Isobelle Carmody

Sep 25, 08

Read in September, 2008

I LOVE ISOBELLE CARMODY!!!!

There I have stated the unstateable (is that a word?). No seriously, as much as I want to wring her neck for making us wait so freaking long for the completion of the Obernewtyn Chronicles and the Legendsong trilogy, damn the woman knows how to keep us coming back.

We plunge into action straight away; unlike the 4th book where the start was so tedious it took me 10 tries to read it fully, this installment has so much going on. Carmody can write really crappily and far too leisurely sometimes and there are moments (such as the romance parts) where I can barely read on and cringe because it is SO. BAD. But so much happens in this book that the 1000 pages it takes up doesn't seem like that much at all, and it really is page-turning stuff.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and eagerly look forward to the last one to see once and for all what happens.

N.B. One glaring contradition that I noticed that Cathy also noticed, was when Brydda is meant to be in the third ship which never turns up and then he's with them on the land asking questions and then a page later Elspeth wonders what happened to Brydda and morbidly wonders how she would tell his parents that he had died. Hilarious.

P.S. And also another bone of extreme contention for me which has nothing to do with the actual story - why did the publisher publish this book SO FREAKING BIG. Honestly, the font is so large and there is a margin of a full inch between text and the edge of the page. What really annoys me though is that if I buy the book then it won't be the same size as the other four I do own. IT WON'T BE THE SAME SIZE. IT DOESN'T MATCH. AAAAARGH. Totally anal-retentive but it is ridiculous. Publish the damn book in the normal size and don't charge $32 for it, dammit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stone Key.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. That was not the only GLARING contradiction I noticed. I just don't remember the others now.