Katrina Patton's Reviews > Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned

Y by Brian K. Vaughan

May 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012-book-challenge, favorites
Read in May, 2012

I'm sure many other reviewers have already said how fantastic this is, but I'll just add my own agreement to that. I'd heard a lot about this series before and have wanted to read it for a while, but never picked it up until now.

I'm sure you know the basic premise, something, a curse, a disease, a defect of some kind, has killed all male members of every species on Earth, except for one man, Yorick, and his male Capuchin monkey Ampersand. It explores what would happen in a society populated by women alone, and how they would deal with a natural disaster of epic proportions (picture cleaning up dead bodies, family members dying, and half of the population being wiped out instantly).

First off, the art is great. I like the clean style. It isn't too realistic or too cartoony. There is some blood in the book but it isn't too much to really put you off (or maybe I'm immune to blood since I've read 4 books of the Walking Dead).

The characters don't rely too heavily on stereotypes and they're interesting and believable. The story moves quickly and leaves you invested in their futures. I'm seriously looking forward to getting the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.