babyfishmouth's Reviews > The Long Shot

The Long Shot by Ellen Hartman

May 06, 12

bookshelves: category-romance, contemporary-romance, kindle
Read on May 06, 2012

This is a 1.5 stars for me.

I don't remember why/how I ended up with this book in my TBR list but I really wish I had read some reviews before I bought it. It would have saved me a few dollars and several hours.

The writing isn't awful. In fact, it's quite adequate. The story and characters, though, aren't as adequate. Julia is dull, dull, dull. Deacon has a "big" secret, one of my least favorite plot premises (right behind "big" misunderstanding). The romantic/sexual tension is virtually non-existent and it was a surprise when they tumbled into bed together because I was expecting more lead-up or resistance or desire or chemistry. (Note: very brief sex scenes - perhaps standard in the Super Romance line?). The story is also devoid of any real humor and if I hadn't checked the publication date, I could easily believe it was written 15 years or more ago. It has a dated feel to it despite the use of cell phones and the internet by the characters.

Also, and this is no fault of the author - just my fault for not reading more about this before I bought it - the basketball scenes were not at all interesting to me since I'm not a fan of the sport. There are lengthy details about the game that I found myself glossing over.

The only thing that kept this from being a 1 star/DNF is Deacon's relationship with his brother Wes. That relationship is better portrayed and more interesting than the one between Deacon and Julia.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Shot.