Julesmarie's Reviews > Natural Instincts

Natural Instincts by S.J. Frost

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: m-m, vampires
Read from May 06 to June 06, 2012

** spoiler alert ** So, it took me three tries to finally be able to finish this book. I was tempted after the second try to give it up for a while and put it in the dnf pile. But, because it was SJ Frost, and I've loved all of her other books, I decided to hope the third try was the charm and give it one more chance.

I'm so glad I did! I don't know if it was the names (Titus and Andreas... got rather clunky, even just in my head) or if it was the insta-love in a 2000 year-old vampire (even though he won't admit it at the time) but I couldn't force myself past halfway the first two times.

Perhaps this time it was because I had more of an idea of what to expect, but I wasn't as bothered by those things as I had been. The names are still clunky and awkward, and I wish that Andreas at least had a different name. Titus is fine for a 2000 year-old vampire, but it's hard for me to buy a zookeeper in Chicago in the 21st century actually going by Andreas.

Whew, okay. I wasn't anticipating ranting about their names. Weird. Anyway, I knew what to expect this time. And the insta-love thing actually worked for me this time. I like that Titus uses the excuse that he just doesn't want Andreas to be taken by another master as he goes to find him. And I like that Andreas sees right through it.

I also didn't really give Daniel a chance before. My second time through I stopped right after the dinner with him, he just seemed like such an unpleasant character, and I wasn't sure I wanted to find out where the story would go now that he was part of it. I think it's for his sake that I'm most glad I gave this book another chance. I came to really like him, and I was impressed with many of the choices he made, especially knowing how difficult some of them would have been for him. I'm so glad the next book is about him, I'm excited to see him get his HEA.

Another thing I loved was Andreas's evolution. I love that the more time he spent with Titus, the less he wanted to be a vampire for revenge and the more he wanted to do it just to be with Titus. But I really wish we could have seen him Turned. It feels a little unfinished ending where it did, without even a hint of his thoughts as to WHEN. Perhaps in the second book?

I also loved that Daniel recognized how important Andreas was to Titus. That Titus loved Andreas in a different way, and that Daniel really did need to move on and find someone like that of his own. It was nice to have it end without that potential-love-triangle angst that was there just after we met Daniel.

To sum up: I liked it. I'm glad I gave it another chance. And i will definitely be reading the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natural Instincts.