Chelsea's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

bookshelves: guilty-pleasures
Recommended to Chelsea by: Carrie St. Amour
Recommended for: labotomy survivors
Read from May 06 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Uh, wow. So this is IT? The book that the whole world is in utter fascination with? I think someone is laughing all the way to the bank.

First of all, I thought this book had really great potential. I was totally hooked until about chapter 7 when all hell broke loose.

What a complete waste of time. Granted, I read the book in record time - one sitting, maybe in like 5 hours? Because of two reasons - I wanted to know what happened, and I wanted (and was hoping) the story would get less silly and get better. I was wrong.

I am also disappointed to find out that this is a fan-fiction response to Twilight. This wasn't even an original book idea - per se.

So I was really into the first 6 chapters. I was totally romantic, and fitting for my age group. It had everything and I was loving reading about Christian Grey. Then when things get weird and kinky it totally turned me off. First of all, the main character Ana is a total moron - in the way Bella Swan was an idiot. I wanted to scream at her for 3/4 of the book because she was making me so angry.

description
Christian Grey is another unbelievable character after chapter 6, and by that I mean a totally unearthly, unrealistic person. The way he acts, what he says; completely ridiculous for a 27 year old American guy, even a rich one.

The whole book was full of me rolling my eyes and gaping at horror at what was happening. The sex scenes were also completely unrealistic. Not even once I said to myself "hmmm, yeah - that could happen, and most girls would be cool with it". Maybe that's me, but it seemed so off the hook that it was borderline insane. It was cringe worthy - as if watching some soft-core Cine-max movie that lasted 5 hours.

I also want to point out that while myself I am in no means a "feminist" but found that the entire book (like Twilight) put this weird spin on what a woman's role is, and made the female character seem like a complete twit in comparison to her male counterpart. I understand it was a book about BDSM and whatever else but it was so incredibly sexist through the whole thing I wanted to puke.

The only reason I kept reading was to get to the end, and to see if the romance from chapters 1-6 returned and these characters snapped out of whatever the heck you call the majority of the book. Spoiler alert - they don't. They're underdeveloped, and there are multiple plot holes, and lots of unanswered questions after reading 500 or so pages.

It's utter mayhem and a ridiculous read.

I would liken this book to watching a movie for the first time, and you think the ending is coming up like 5 times, but no - each time the movie lasts another 45 minutes. The entire last 3/4 of the book is repetitive (a lot like the later Twilight books). She does this, he does that, repeat. It could've probably ended around page 300.

Did I hate it? Not entirely. There were some good parts, but like I said - mostly in the beginning. Would I read it again? No. Was it worth the $10 I paid through Amazon Kindle? No.

Overall, if you're a fan of the genre you probably will "get it" more than I did, but for your normal reader, I'd skip it. I also will add that I have NO IDEA how they're going to make this a movie for mass release.

I also wanted to add some bits of reviews I've read that really articulate how I feel about this hot mess of a book but couldn't put into words - so I stole theirs (but gave credit).

He exploits her, stalks her and abuses her! She cries after sex. She is afraid of him being angry! Even when he is angry at something else, she thinks it's her. Her reasoning for allowing him to hit her as his therapy is because she's afraid to lose him. That is not a reason for agreeing to a BDSM lifestyle! In fact, that's not even really "consent!" These quotes just scream domestic abuse to me:

"Please don't be angry with me," I whisper.

"Please don't hit me," I whisper, pleading.
His brow furrows, his eyes widening. He blinks twice.
"I don't want you to spank me. Not here. Not now. Please don't."

Yeah, he's a real catch, that one. Barf. No, excuse me. That's not right.

(Stephanie Sinclair's review)