Dolly's Reviews > The Fabulous Flying Machines of Alberto Santos-Dumont

The Fabulous Flying Machines of Alberto Santos-Dumont by Victoria Griffith

May 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012, childrens, aviation, france-french, biography, nonfiction, other-usa, south-central-america
Recommended for: parents reading with their children
Read on May 02, 2012, read count: 1

This is a wonderful tale about one of the pioneers of aviation. I'm a bit sad to say that I'd never heard of Alberto Santos-Dumont before now and I am an aviator. So this book not only introduced our girls to one of the first airplane enthusiasts, but I learned a lot as well. I liked the illustrations, but I did not love them. They did, however, evoke a nostalgic sense of that time in history.

At first I read the author's note at the end to myself, but I thought it was so informative and interesting, I insisted on reading it aloud to our girls as well. It really augmented the information provided in the story and added some fascinating details.

I love that this book introduces a character that seemed to have been forgotten by history (at least here in America.) It's well written and finds the delicate balance between informing and entertaining versus overwhelming and boring children. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book with our girls.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fabulous Flying Machines of Alberto Santos-Dumont.