Ellen's Reviews > The Snow Child

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

May 06, 2012

I'm glad others had just as much trouble describing this book as I had. It was so luminously written, I savored every word. One might expect a novel about a childless couple in the Alaskan wilderness to be harsh and unforgiving, and although the author didn't minimize the dangers of this life (a description of trying to get a character home with a broken back had me thanking the heavens for cellphones), amazingly, instead of being beaten by the snow, cold and isolation, the characters thrive in it. Every detail is lovingly described, from the sparkling snow to the northern lights.

One thing I found surprising was that the characters came from middle class, intellectual households. Books, drawing, and other forms of intellectual and creative pursuit were omnipresent. Perhaps this is one reason I identified with the characters. It defies stereotype yet is not shoved in your face either. Every character has strengths and weaknesses, nobody is all good or all bad, and everyone is equal in the wilderness.

I loved loved loved this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snow Child.