Kelly's Reviews > Zombie Mommy

251943
May 17, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, read-in-2012
Read from May 13 to 14, 2012

For the love of fancy cheeses! I was giggling more during this book than was probably good for me. I LOVED the way the author would insert himself into the narrative. It was highly amusing and it worked to keep the story light without being ridiculous. The moment that really sold the book for me was when Lily's mom went all introspective about her (supposed) imminent demise:
"But what if I do have a deadly disease?" she asked out loud. "No. I'm being ridiculous... It's just a cold... But what if I do? Or even worse, what if it is just a cold but I go into the hospital for a test - and ironically I catch a deadly disease from another patient in the hospital?" Though she knew this was not very likely, still, it consumed her. "Then...," she whispered, "then Lily and Ben will be all alone... And if it's anything like those dead mother books, Lily will become a pickpocket or a shoplifter... or she'll have to get a pet raccoon to teach her the meaning of trust..."

Even rereading that has me laughing out loud. Oh, Lily's mom! I've had those EXACT SAME THOUGHTS!

I don't know what to say. This book was silly and vastly entertaining. My niece informed me that the cover has a Scooby-Doo vibe (which works for me because I love those meddling kids) and she'd like to read it next. Well played, M.T. Anderson! You've managed to get my wee niece excited about reading!

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombie Mommy.