Kristen's Reviews > Deadweather and Sunrise

Deadweather and Sunrise by Geoff Rodkey

May 06, 2012

bookshelves: action-adventure, historical-fiction, middlegrade
Read from July 25 to 27, 2012

First Impression: How can you not love a book set on an island full of pirates? When this one appeared in my mailbox, I was excited and when I finally started reading it, I found I couldn't put it down.

While Reading: Poor Egg doesn't have it easy. His father is a hard-working man who is distant at best, his mother is dead, and his siblings are unusually cruel to him. His brother takes every chance to hurt him and Egg is too much of a daydreamer to notice his oncoming attacks most of the time. You'd think he'd be happy to be rid of his family though, but when they disappear in a strange ballooning accident, he finds himself living in a mansion with the beautiful Millicent and her family.

But when he's unsure about officially becoming a part of her family, his family only dead a couple of days, he finds himself nearly thrown off a cliff. There's something that the Pembroke's want on his father's land and he's determined to find out what it is. Hopefully, he won't be killed in the process.

I loved the pace of this book. Full of action, Egg is on the run and meets some interesting characters along the way. I absolutely love Millicent, who is very smart and seems to take a liking for Egg. The deranged cabin boy is quite that and makes for an interesting sidekick towards the end of this first book. And the pirates.. seriously, how can you not love pirates?

Final Verdict: For fans of pirates, sharp-tongued girls, and adventurous boys. A highly recommended read for both boys and girls alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadweather and Sunrise.