Missie Kay The Book Fix's Reviews > Curse the Dawn

Curse the Dawn by Karen Chance

May 06, 12

bookshelves: adult, urban-fantasy
Read in May, 2012

The good: I love the worldbuilding and adventure portions of the series.

The bad: At first, I gave Cassie a pass on her relationship with Mircea (how do you even say that name?) They were under a spell, so...okay. But now? The spell is broken (And it was a lame way of breaking the spell, too. "No, no, I don't want to be under his control....Okay, then, let's do it."). So there are some lingering feelings from the spell, fine. But does the romantic choice always have to be the super-controlling vampire (Hello, Twilight!)? Not to mention the "daddy" vibes from their first dynamic. And the way she's "claimed", "his woman", etc. Cassie pays lip service to disliking this, but enjoys its benefits (to her credit, she (mostly) refuses his financial carte blanche). I nearly gave up in disgust with her except for two things--the tension with Pritkin (who is protective when she needs it but does not wrap her in cotton wool, which is way more romantic, IMO), and her decision at the end, which leaves some hope for her character. But if she doesn't shape up, I might have break up with this series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curse the Dawn.