Kolleen's Reviews > Promises to Keep

Promises to Keep by Jane Green

May 14, 12

bookshelves: chick-lit, sisterhood, tear-jerker
Read in May, 2012

**Semi-Spoilers** This is a story about Callie: friend, sister, daughter, mother, and cancer survivor; until, unexpectedly, the cancer comes back.

This book kept bouncing back and forth between three to four stars for me. At first, there were all of these characters that I was learning about and I didn't understand why there had to be so many. Callie and Reese's relationship seemed too good to be true and all the side stories were just a little too much to handle. Eventually, at about halfway through the book, we finally get down to what the book is actually about.

By this time, I understood why we needed to know so much about the characters and how they all played a role in Callie's life. I cried a few times during this book, which doesn't usually happen, and ended up really enjoying it at the end (the white feather was enough to send me over the edge!).

I also found a really good passage about the grief process in general, which I will leave here:

"Life, Steffi has learned, carries on around the pain, making room for it, absorbing it until it becomes part of the daily fabric, wrapping itself around you and lodging itself in your heart. Steffi has come a long way in a year. She plays with her niece and nephew, makes dinner, creates recipes, goes out with friends, reads books. Then she cries. She takes showers, plants seeds, picks vegetables, kisses Mason, goes on vacation, eats too much dessert, surfs the web. The she cries. She plans dinner parties, makes love, makes friends, snorts with laughter, builds fires, reads the paper, brushes her hair. Then she cries. Mostly, she just misses her sister."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promises to Keep.