David's Reviews > Frank Versus the Vampire

Frank Versus the Vampire by Mat Nastos

May 06, 12

Sometimes it is all about introductions, and this first look at Frank Fenris-a pugilistic patrolman of odd cases-is kinetic fun that roars out of the readers e-reader from word one. Set up? Well, Frank really hates vampires. Frank has to survive an onslaught from one undead psycho with a fang to grind. Frank isn't content to be a blood bag, and spills some eternal ichor with his fists and specialty arsenal.

The story is simple, but the trick is that Nastos maintains both action and atmosphere with ease-all while giving the reader a fast paced introduction to his monster slaying character. Talk about getting your 99 cents worth! The prose is fast and funny, but doesn't make the action sequence so silly that it becomes a simple parody of popular vampire culture. Not that it doesn't get skewered anyway!

"Hearing a grown man 'purr' fueled the fire in the pit of my stomach even more." Frank definitely won't abide purring sparkly vampiric sterotypes, but his opponent may have these traits, but remains a bad ass bloodsucker that takes more than a few punches to knock down and put to rest (in pieces).

I look forward to more of these, the perfect read for horror fans looking for an action fix, and vampire fans that want something unique. You'll laugh, you'll cringe and you'll definitely want to read more from the author. I did and I do!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frank Versus the Vampire.