Clara Roberts's Reviews > The Favored Daughter: One Woman's Fight to Lead Afghanistan into the Future

The Favored Daughter by Fawzia Koofi

F_50x66
May 06, 12

Read in May, 2012

This daughter was the ninteenth of twenty-three children of her father who had seven or eight wives. He would divorce a wife to marry another so he only had four wives at one time. Most of his marriages were political unions. Most of the women were drudges and baby factories and all were illiterate. This daughter was the first in her family to go to school. She spoke of the father beating the mother and felt that that was a sign of his love for her mother. This book startes with the time of the king, and then a kind of democracy, the the Communist, then the cruel Taliban and then Karzai and the Americans. She is kicked out of Medical school by the Taliban. The Taliban rule that no woman can practice medicine nor can men can treat or see a women that is not his wife so there is no medical treatment for women. Much of the book covers the beatings and efforts she went through to get her husband out of the Taliban jail. All of these jailing were because her husband had been seen at a place the Taliban did not like. There were spies everywhere. She got a job with the UN and took part in a survey about the medical care in Afghanistan. In one remote province she found all the family and their animals lived together in a one room hovel. The people defecated in a corner of their living room. Babies were crawling around in the fecal mater. Without a doubt these are the most backward people on the face of the earth. It will take generations before these people move from the 5th century to get to the 18th century. Only with God's intervention can they get to the 21st century. It is a sad, sad country. My heart goes out to anyone born there and who have to live in that country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Favored Daughter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hadiya (new) - added it

Hadiya Clara I was born there and I pity your ignorance I suggest you check out Afghanistan 1900s-1980s before CIA intervention on our country
This country wasn't what you people think of it If USA n USSR kept out of our country today's Afghanistan would have been much different

Clara Roberts How different? Why do you no longer live there? In the 1950's the Afghan allowed a church be built in Kabul so that westerns that lived in Kabul could worship God. Then the Aghan government plowed it under. I pray that the Afghan people might come to know the Love of Jeses Christ the son of God. His Love and Peace is needed there and His Love and Peace is needed here in the USA. The USA is now lead by pagan people who claim to know God but do not show that knowledge by how they live their lives. I pray to God every day that God will reveal Himself to our leaders and they will come to Him and confess their sins to Him.