Natalie's Reviews > The Reckoning

The Reckoning by Alma Katsu

May 06, 2012

bookshelves: adult-fiction, arc, favorites, paranormal, romance, historical
Read from May 22 to June 01, 2012

Breathtaking... Thrilling... Touching... Exciting... Magical... Memorable... The list of adjetives that I could use to describe The Reckoning by Alma Katsu is endless! To put it quite simply, this book is AMAZING! For those of you who haven't heard of The Taker trilogy yet, then today is your lucky day, because I'm about to tell you about one of the best series that I've read in a very long time!

The Taker trilogy follows the life of Lanore, a woman born in the 1800s, who was granted immortal life by a dangerous and captivating man named Adair. While Lanore is initially drawn to Adair's life of opulence and pleasure, she soon becomes aware of his darker personality. After a series of gut wrenching events (which I won't go into detail about in order to prevent spoilers), Lanore manages to escape the clutches of Adair and runs away with the man she has loved since childhood.

In The Reckoning, however, Adair is back with a vengeance, and will do anything he can to get Lanore in his clutches once more. As Lanny attempts to stay two steps ahead of her worst nightmare, readers will find themselves mesmerized by the new details that come to light not only about her own life, but also that of Adair's.

In fact, one of my favourite things about The Reckoning is that readers actually get to see Adair's side of the story. While Lanny's hatred of Adair is more than justified, I couldn't help but find myself softening to his character after seeing things through his point of view. I never thought that these words would ever leave my mouth, but the character of Adair has started to grow on me just as much as Lanore! The complexities of his character just kept on surprising me as the story continued to progress!

I'll admit, after being swept off my feet by The Taker, I was worried that The Reckoning would be somewhat of a disappointment. Thankfully, I was completely wrong! The Reckoning was just as as gripping and tantalizing as the first book! I honestly don't know how I'm going to survive now waiting for the third and final book to be published next year! The stories of Lanore, Adair, and Jonathan will haunt me until I finally know what will become of them all! If you haven't read The Taker yet I highly suggest you go out and pick up the first book now! The Reckoning will be hitting store shelves June 19th, and this is a story that you will definitely not want to miss out on!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reckoning.

Chelsey Yeee yeee! =)