Erica Karcher's Reviews > Promised

Promised by Caragh M. O'Brien

May 12, 2012

Read in May, 2012

For a third book in a series, it wasn't bad, and some redeeming things happened, but the leadership I was looking for in Gaia, the now deemed Matrarch (or leader) of the people of Sylum, never really showed itself. [EDITED out a spoiler here; I'm so sorry I wrote it in the first place.] The book was too clean in getting to it's conclusion, and I could have used more interaction between the main characters that readers have learned to love and hate from the previous two books. So, eh.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promised.

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sarah Kindly, please hide your Spoilers. Thanks.

Erica Karcher Will try. Isn't there a way to say "contains spoilers" as well? I tried to flag as "with spoilers," but then I was just going to report myself! Sorry if I ruined anything for you.

message 11: by Sarah (last edited May 12, 2012 07:58AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah I've seen people write a whole sentence then hide only the [spoiler] part and if you want to see the spoiler, you just click on it. I think I have an idea how to do that but I'll have to try it out first. In the mean time, I just write out Spoiler Alert. I think I might have an idea how but still have to try it out.
I stop reading your review after the Gaia and leon getting married. I liked Birthmarked but Prized was just OK for me, I wanted to know if Promised was worth pre-ordering and you were the only person to have read the book. Happy reading.

message 10: by Zoë (new) - added it

Zoë Please please hide your spoilers. I was so excited to see a review and am really disappointed to have at least part of the book ruined for me.

Erica Karcher I'm confused. I removed it yesterday morning. Are you still seeing some sort of spoiler? The fact that Gaia is matrarch was established in the second book. Please let me know what spoiler you are seeing. Thank you.

Erica Karcher Sarah wrote: "I've seen people write a whole sentence then hide only the [spoiler] part and if you want to see the spoiler, you just click on it. I think I have an idea how to do that but I'll have to try it out..."

Erica Karcher I'm confused. I removed the spoiler yesterday morning. Are you still seeing some sort of spoiler? The fact that Gaia is matrarch was established in the second book, so I'm guessing that's not it. Please let me know what spoiler you are seeing and I will remove. Thank you.

message 7: by Zoë (new) - added it

Zoë Erica wrote: "I'm confused. I removed it yesterday morning. Are you still seeing some sort of spoiler? The fact that Gaia is matrarch was established in the second book. Please let me know what spoiler you a..."
(view spoiler)

Sarah Zoe, can you please tell me how you did that? the(view spoiler)]? Thank you.

message 5: by Zoë (new) - added it

Zoë I clicked on "some html is ok" link on top of the comment box where it tells you how to format your text. If I copy and paste it here, it'll just turn it into another spoiler.

Erica Karcher Thanks to you both for the information, and again, truly sorry for the spoiler. Obviously, when I write reviews in batches I get sloppy. :(

message 3: by Zoë (new) - added it

Zoë No problem, lots of reviews have spoilers but now that you know how to tag them people won't read them by accident. I'm still really jealous you got to read this one early! I hope it goes on Net-galley like Prized did.

message 2: by Isabelle (new) - added it

Isabelle I'm sorry, but where did you manage to find this book? I am anticipating it greatly.

Erica Karcher I work for a book distributor, and the publisher gives limited advance copies to buyers and reviewers there. If you host a teen blog or write reviews in another place online, you might be able to find an electronic early edition through Netgalley.com.