Christopher's Reviews > SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes And Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance

SuperFreakonomics by Steven D. Levitt

M_50x66
May 06, 12

I very much enjoyed Freakonomics. Although there was no thread to directly connect the seemingly random wanderings of the authors through the varied world of "economics", there was a common feature: unintended consequences. Whether this was from changing the laws on abortion, or selling cookies in offices, there were consequences to these events which the authors examined and, indeed, revelled in.

The new book again starts with a controversial statistic (the first began with a contention that the Rowe vs Wade case in the USA - which allowed abortion - resulted in a dramatic drop in crime years later). This time it's about drink driving and feels more like they have searched for a deliberately contentious statistic. As the appendices are far slimmer in this volume it isn't possible to follow the exact route they took to this conclusion either.

This epitomises the rest of the book. Interesting and quite diverting, but ultimately light weight. Fewer real conclusions are drawn and the same thread isn't really apparent. Ironic, as in the introduction they state that there is a thread running through this book, unlike the first - whereas I would contend the opposite is the case.

It is a good read and, to be fair, I was reluctant to put the book down once I began.

I would recommend it if you enjoyed Freakonomics, but don't buy this book if you haven't read the first.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SuperFreakonomics.