Sunil's Reviews > Gotham Central, Book Two: Jokers and Madmen

Gotham Central, Book Two by Ed Brubaker

Dec 01, 14

bookshelves: own, 2012
Read on May 06, 2012

Brubaker and Rucka continue to turn out solid stories about the GCPD. As the series takes shape, I appreciate that, although there is no overarching story, there is clear continuity, as the consequences of one case (often deadly consequences) can affect the next: not on a plot level but on a character level. We deal with romantic relationships, bureaucracy and politics, secrets between partners—you know, the kind of things you normally see in cop drama. Except now, bonus superheroes and supervillains! I am sort of conflicted on the role of the supers in this story. On the one hand, I am perfectly happy watching these characters solve crimes and have lives, and it feels almost gimmicky to involve costumes (will I spend each story waiting for the TWIST that it's actually the Riddler or Croc or Bane or whoever behind it?). On the other hand, this is Gotham, and they're Major Crimes, so they deal with the freaks; that's kind of their THING. And although it is a delicious, fiendish surprise to learn that a familiar face is involved, that's never the point of the story. The point is getting to watch good old-fashioned police deal with them rather than Batman. The Joker is on the cover, so, spoiler warning, one of the stories features the Joker, and, no surprise, it's the best and most exciting one. Three very different cases, plus a great story focused on Stacy, the girl who turns on the Bat-Signal.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gotham Central, Book Two.