Literary's Reviews > Guestlist

Guestlist by Jay Fingers

May 06, 12

Read in April, 2012

Guestlist revolves around the story of Juliet, and her ambition to surround herself with the "pretty people" of New York. When she first meets Napoleon Fey, she dismisses him, but after learning of his connections, takes an interest. Running parallel is the story of Marcel Swann, a man instantly captivated by a high society lady named Ava. Both are in for the ride of their lives, as they try to tame their intendeds.

I would classify this as an urban fiction novel. Never shying away from sex and profanity, Mr. Fingers paints a realistic picture of the lives of his characters. We see clearly the ulterior motives behind each characters behavior, and never more so than in the last few chapters as things speed up and fall into place. The intensity of the drama plays out and catches you by surprise, as you realize things aren't always what they seem in the glamorous life. After an exhilarating culmination, Fingers leaves you with the hope of new beginnings for both Juliet and Marcel. A sequel, perhaps?

I initially was discouraged by the language used, but as the story went on, found myself turning pages with a new intensity. Not the most beautiful book, as far as imagery, but entertaining. I would definitely read a follow-up story.

(Review written by Charlene, a Literary R&R book review blog team member)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guestlist.