booklady's Reviews > El Nazareno/ Jesus of Nazareth

El Nazareno/ Jesus of Nazareth by Felipe Silva

Sep 29, 08

bookshelves: 2008, history, religion, theology, spiritual, scripture
Recommended for: anyone serious about the spiritual life
Read in September, 2008

For my actual review of Jesus of Nazareth see my goodreads book by that name. This just includes comments on the audio edition of the book. I listened to the English edition of this book but goodreads won't allow adding the CD separately from the book so I've chosen to add these comments under the Italian edition.

I have read and listened to this book over the course of the past five months. The audio edition is well worth the investment. I regret that more of PBXVI's books aren't available on audio as I like listening to them while I drive. However, I wouldn't advise listening to JoN instead of reading it, but only in addition to it. For my purposes, I usually read a chapter several times and then listened to it. In this manner, information I needed to have repeated was reinforced and often important items I'd glossed over caught my attention.

Don Leslie's reading was clear, interesting and easy to listen to. Hearing the Greek and Hebrew words pronounced was helpful and his annunciation, excellent.

All-in-all an audio presentation I would recommend!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

In the beginning of Chapter 7, PBXVI gives a fascinating synthesis of critical German exegesis. It gets a bit heady at times and yet, with careful attention, it's not only do-able, it's pure pleasure. I learned more about parables than I ever have from any other source. But that's not what I was thinking about yesterday or a few weeks ago as I was listening to JoN. Instead I was thinking about our German Pontiff and how he is introducing German theologians to us (well to me anyway) heretofore unknown. It got me to wondering how well these writers are known outside Germany. Perhaps in the upper echelons of learned Biblical scholars and leading Catholic exegetes they might be familiar if not household names. However, now thanks to the nationality of our Holy Father we are coming to know the works and ideas of whole groups of great thinkers we might not have heard of otherwise. It boggles the mind--well this mind anyway.

Also, in an earlier chapter PBXVI quotes extensively from a book by a Jewish rabbi. I would call this irony if I didn't think it was beautiful--in the year 2008, the Catholic Pope is a German who is quoting a Jewish Rabbi. This reminded me of our recent Polish Pope who welcomed representatives of the former Soviet Union to Fatima, Portugal when a memorial celebration was conducted there at the end of the Cold War. It is good to be able to take a long view of History. Thanks be to God!

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read El Nazareno/ Jesus of Nazareth.