Exanimis's Reviews > In His Majesty's Service

In His Majesty's Service by Naomi Novik

May 14, 12

bookshelves: adventure, enjoyable, favorites
Read from May 03 to 14, 2012

I have just finished reading the first book, His Majesty's Dragon and my rating is at a four for now. I have never read anything about dragons so this was my first exposure to the sub genera. The story was a page turner for me, from the discovery of the egg to the first battle with the fighting adult dragon was an awesome adventure. Laurence and Temeraire's friendship grows as they train and Temeraire reaches adulthood but the books remaining populous tag along in a two dimensional world. None of the books supporting cast seem to be developed any further than an introduction unless something bad is going to happen to them. When a crew member dies during a battle, I found myself going back through chapters in an attempt to find out who they were only to discover that there was no prior mention of that person. I found myself hoping that I would get to know one particular dragon further only to discover that my hopes were in vain and the dragon will not return in other adventures.

The storyline is imaginative, descriptive, and fast paced. The history is well researched but I am in no way an expert in the Nepolianic era.

I look forward to reading the next book in the series and will be starting it today.

Throne of Jade: This series keeps getting better. The Chinese Emperor has laid claim to Tameraire and Laurence is forced to visit China in an attempt to keep his dragon. There is enough going on during this adventure to keep the pages turning. Murder attempts, gangs of murderous bandits, sea serpents and of course, dragons as well as an attack of a cold. It's on to the third book for me, I'll post more then.

Black Powder War:Laurence and Temeraire are called away from China to collect three eggs from Turkey, but nothing ever goes as planned does it? This was another fantastic journey in the lives of Laurence and Temeraire. I can no longer agree with my previous assessment of characters being two dimensional since the two following books seemed to have taken this into account. I will definitely be following along in the next volumes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In His Majesty's Service.

05/08/2012 page 409