Christi Snow's Reviews > What I Didn't Say

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

May 11, 12

Read in May, 2012

My Review:

This book was absolutely A.MA.ZING! Not only is it an incredible book to read, but it has an amazing message to it too. To tell you how much I loved this book, I received this one in digital to read and review. Immediately upon finishing it, I got online and ordered a print copy of the book. OMG...it was so good!

Okay, if you haven't read the story overview, go do it now because it will give you an amazing idea about what this book is about. Jake's world has completely fallen apart. He's three weeks into his Senior year riding high on an amazing football game and season when he makes the mistake that changes the rest of his entire life. Can you imagine losing the ability to talk for the rest of your life as a 17 yo? There are major things that can happen to you to change the course of your life, but becoming mute at that point? This was a kid who was counting down to joining the Air Force. He'd just earned his pilot's license. That night he was on the way to tell the girl of his dreams that he loved her. All of that was just suddenly GONE.

But as he deals with this enormous, gigantic loss in his life, he comes to realize that he doesn't have it near as bad as some people. As he goes throughout his senior year in high school, he's faced with a couple of people who have it so much worse, but they haven't let it get them down. He learns to adjust and accept and it truly just becomes a gorgeous book about transitions.

I loved Jake. He most definitely has his moments of "why me?" but he's so resilient. I loved how he got where he could communicate with his body language to those around him that he loves. And Samantha...OMG, she is just the perfect girl for him. Smart and strong and she keeps him from sinking when he is so close so many times. Their story is beautiful and by the end of it I was bawling. Just an amazing story about human resilience and strength and love. It's amazing what humans can survive as long as there is love in their lives and this book points that fact out better than most.

It's a beautiful story and it's told amazingly well. I sat down with this book and didn't put it down again until I was completely done. It's really compelling reading and I am so glad that I squeezed this one into my May review schedule!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Didn't Say.