Marie's Reviews > Magyk

2017406
May 06, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy-mg
Read in April, 2012

I think this book is magical for its humor and quirkiness. Some things might seem too familiar, as this calls to mind other fantasies- I think on purpose, as the writer draws out little odes to things she has liked. but I like this, and do the same in my writing. I enjoyed it much more than Rick Riordan's, The Red Pyramid, for it's style, and more showing, but still--what this has in common with The Red Pyramid is a bit too much 'telling.' this is a trap fantasies fall into, having to explain things in the world- it takes a lot of revision to put details in without making the telling too obvious. while I think Magyk succeeds a bit better, it is not perfect. the omnipotent storyteller POV is there, so that may be the reason. BUT, what I love about Magyk is the author's great, humorous, tongue-in-cheek imagination- and she has great bits of character dialogue. Lovely. and GOOD, GOOD FUN.

I should add that I listened to it on audio- and really liked the reader. and definitely want to continue with the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magyk.