Daniel Taylor's Reviews > The Courier's New Bicycle

The Courier's New Bicycle by Kim Westwood

May 16, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, hares-hyenas-bookclub
Read from May 06 to 16, 2012

Imagine a dystopic future where the religious right have won out and strike terror into anyone who doesn't fit their idea of what's acceptable to God.

Against that backdrop throw Salisbury Forth, a gender-transgressive, who is a courier for an ethical illegal drug dealer. It seems someone has a vendetta against the drug dealer and Sal needs to solve the mystery or go down with the ship.

I had to push past the first twenty pages before I started to get into it. Once I did, I could see it's a similar narrative style to fantasy writer Patrick Rothfuss, whom I love. For an Australian fantasy, it's uncharacteristically mature in its spellbinding story and it wraps up all the threads and delivers a neatly packaged story.

I can see the novel appealing to three groups of people: transgendered readers, Melburnians and people who love quality Australian fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Courier's New Bicycle.

05/06/2012 page 33
10.0% "Interesting but slow start to a novel set in a near-future Melbourne."
05/10/2012 page 300
92.0% "Slow to start but once you get into this world it's engaging. Been fun reading it as I travel on trams in the city where it's set. Reminds me of Patrick Rothfuss's books."
show 1 hidden update…