Jill's Reviews > Coveted

3820197
May 06, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-pnr-sci-fi-romance, 2012-debuts
Read in April, 2012

Natalya Stravinsky is a werewolf living in South Toms River, New Jersey and making her living working at a flea market. Five years earlier her boyfriend Thorn Grantham left her, but now he's back in town taking over as alpha of the pack. Thorn has his hands full with the Long Island pack trying to take over the area, and for some reason Nat is targeted for extermination. Nat suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder which has led to her being rejected, a rogue werewolf with no pack.

This was a pretty entertaining read. Written in the first-person from Nat's point-of-view, she has a good sense of humour. In order to help with her anxiety, Nat goes to group therapy where she meets up with Nick, a wizard. He provides the third corner of the requisite triangle, although the romance is quite light. There are a host of supernatural creatures besides the werewolves - zombies, goblins, harpies, nymphs, witches, necromancers. And I also enjoyed Nat's family's Russian background.

Shawntelle Madison has either done her research on OCD or has intimate knowledge of this anxiety disorder as her descriptions of those suffering from this are spot-on. Nat's obsession with cleanliness and compulsive buying (of Christmas decorations) are symptomatic of the disorder.

The story does reach a conclusion but there are a few loose ends, not the least of which is who will eventually end up as Nat's love interest. Entertaining, well-written and a little different.

Steam: 2.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coveted.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Humm, Jill, nice review and you've piqued my interest!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Jill, but you know me...no, thanks, anyway. :-)

message 8: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited May 06, 2012 08:48AM) (new)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Not much of a fan of love triangles but I may give this one a try. Great review as always, Jill.

message 7: by Karla (new)

Karla Great review Jill. The setting for this one takes place in my home state and not too far from where I live! I enjoy reading books that take place in familiar surroundings!

Jill @ Leslie
Thanks Leslie! Hope you like it if you get to read it.

@ Baba
Thanks as always, Baba. And I know you're so not a fan of pnr.

@ Kristen
Thanks Kristen. I'm certain that it wouldn't be a UF romance without the triangle! But both the romance and the triangle are lite.

@ Karla
Thanks Karla! So you're from New Jersey? I agree it must be interesting to read about a place you know! Since 99% of the books I read are set in the States, I never have too much opportunity to read about a place I know. Lol!

message 5: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Great revie Jilly! This is so my type of book and I just have to add. :)

Jill Mornin' Wen! And thankyou. Timberrrrrrr!

message 3: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Morning Jilly!

Haha, you're a funny gal! :)

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Nice review Jill ☺

Jill Dee wrote: "Nice review Jill ☺"

Thanks Dee!