Ruth's Reviews > Smugglers' Summer

Smugglers' Summer by Carola Dunn

May 07, 12

bookshelves: regency-victorian, historical-romance
Read from May 06 to 07, 2012

I have to say I really enjoyed this traditional historical romance.

There were strong characters all around - not just the hero and heroine had more than one dimension in this one, but the whole cast did, which I really, really enjoyed (and made me realize I miss it, in the regencies written now). It is a very Austenesque type story, but with smugglers, a country house only reachable by boat, and, get this, a REAL setting, which you can go and visit yourself in Cornwall.

I love it when authors base their stories in real locations - it just makes it so much more credible.

The only downside to this one was that it shared several of the failings of other older regencies - the process of the hero and heroine falling in love is really very poorly written. One day they're just acquaintances, and the next, they want to marry each other, making the reader feel like they've missed a few pages somewhere. The other is that we don't see anything remotely naughty going on, but, hey-ho, that's life.

4 stars. A keeper for when I'm feeling like I need a quick trip to Cornwall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smugglers' Summer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monya (new)

Monya Ruth - good name, that, same as my daughter's.

Carola Dunn's "The Road To Gretna" is one of my favourite regencies. And the process of hero and heroine falling for each other is quite believable.