[Redacted]'s Reviews > Double Star

Double Star by Robert A. Heinlein

May 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read on May 06, 2012

I have a soft spot for Heinlein. Often I think that a Heinlein book that I really enjoy will not be for everyone, however, in this case, I think nearly everyone would enjoy this light, entertaining romp of a book.

The narrative is from the POV of the protagonist Lawrence Smythe (hack actor "The Great Lorenzo"). Smythe is a narcissistic, self delusional asshat who is suddenly, more or less without his informed consent, thrust into what turns out to be the life changing role of a lifetime. It is fun to see Smythe's interaction with the strange world Heinlein built, and the development of Smythe's character throughout.

This was one of my favorite Heinlein books yet and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read a good story that doesn't take itself to seriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Star.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by sologdin (new)

sologdin does it earn the hugo that it won?

[Redacted] Depends on the competition but I would say in a normal year probably not.

[Redacted] Ok, I didn't realize this came out in 1955. It has an anti racist underlying theme that would be at least unusual for the time. Looking at other 1955 novels, it likely deserved the win.

Tfitoby This was my first Heinlein and the one responsible for getting me collecting the complete works. I never expected him to be as fun as this.

[Redacted] I like this one, Moon, and the Puppet Masters the best i think

Tfitoby I'm unsure about Puppet Masters, it sounds less like the sci-fi horror that the movie turned in to but it's still on my mind when I consider the book.

[Redacted] I loved it, it was the first Heinlein I ever read when I was 12 or 13. It may be that I Like it so much for sentimental reasons, I'm not sure. Anyway, give it a go.