Katrina Passick Lumsden's Reviews > Getting Over Garrett Delaney

1964146
May 06, 12

bookshelves: favorite-ya
Read in May, 2012

At the risk of sounding painfully old, I think this book holds an amazingly good message for young women. Come to think of it, I know some adult women who would probably benefit from it.

'Self-actualization' is the term that comes to mind when I sit and ponder how to describe this story, and I suppose it's telling that that exact term is used fairly early on in the book. Sadie's struggle with her addiction to Garrett, and her subsequent attempts to get out and live her own life were touching and funny, and the little snippets from the 12 Step program that eventually begin each chapter are priceless. As it progresses, Sadie (with the help of some new friends) begins to come to terms with the fact that her whole life for the previous two years has been wrapped up in what Garrett likes, what Garrett wants, and what Garrett thinks. It's painful to read at times because there's a certain amount of reminiscent guilt to go along with Sadie's pain, but it's also an affirmation that there's absolutely nothing wrong with being yourself.

Oh, it also takes a few well-earned swipes at those snobby, self-important arthouse kids who think the only entertainment worth engaging in is the kind that makes you want to jump off a bridge. I'm not saying I don't like some of that stuff, but those open-mic night, poetry slam assholes really get under my skin with their pseudo-intellectualism and their adherence to the idea that if you're not tortured, you're not an artist. So yeah, this book brought me a little guilty pleasure in that area.

Getting over Garrett Delaney is about being an individual, coming to terms with being honest about who you are, growing up, and what true friendship, and true love, really look like.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Over Garrett Delaney.