Abigail Larsen's Reviews > Justin Morgan Had a Horse

Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry

Nov 17, 13

Meet Marguerite Henry, one of my favorite childhood authors. Why? Because all the stories I read by her were about horses, and like most young girls, I was horse crazy. Justin Morgan Had a Horse was her only chapter book that I remember reading through three times. I recommend it to all fellow horse-lovers out there. The true account (with a fictional twist) of how the popular breed Morgan came to be in the late eighteenth century, you’ll find it inspiring and fun.

It all begins in 1791 when likable school teacher Justin Morgan accepts Little Bub, a scrawny colt, as payment for a debt owed him. Feeling he is stuck with the short end of the stick, Justin doesn’t see much potential for Little Bub. But he hands him over to Joel, an eager young student, as a project. It is Joel who discovers the unique, strong, and soon-to-be-famous horse he has the privilege of training. Turns out Little Bub isn’t so little; he’s a colt the world will not soon forget. Enjoy the exciting story of this obscure horse turned celebrity and get a history lesson while you’re at it. You’ll never look at Morgans quite the same way after you understand their memorable ancestor: Little Bub.

Recommended read-aloud age: all ages
Recommended read-alone age: 8 and up

My blog: www.oursureanchor.com
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Justin Morgan Had a Horse.