Allie's Reviews > Overseas

Overseas by Beatriz Williams

May 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from May 05 to 06, 2012

When commenting on this book, another reviewer wrote, "I am not a reader of genre romance novels, but clearly I have latent romantic tendencies." I couldn't have put it better.

I received an ARC of this book (thanks, NetGalley!), and as soon as I saw the slang and pop culture references, I was ready to put it down. But there's something irresistible about reading a book before it's even on the shelves, so I kept going. And then I was hooked.

There's nothing literary about this novel, so I won't even comment on it from that perspective. The comparison to The Time Traveler's Wife is rather insulting; both books are about time travel and explore a central love story, but the similarity ends there. There's nothing realistic about this story. Suspension of disbelief around the time travel aspect aside, no one talks nor behaves nor looks this way — not even a war hero from 100 years ago with poetic tendencies.

But there's something delicious about the book anyway — even if you, like me, can't silence the inner voice that spends most of the book laughing at the absurdity of it all.

All in all, this is a perfectly frivolous summer beach read. A bit racy but not obscene; likable protagonists who you want to cheer for (even when she's pushing the same ludicrous argument for the fifth time, I couldn't bring myself to dislike her); a compelling concept and storyline that keep you turning the pages. Set your expectations appropriately and you may find yourself kind of loving this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overseas.