B0nnie's Reviews > Brave New World

Oct 05, 12

bookshelves: ebooks
Read in October, 2012

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Brave New World is a vision of the future where science will (at last) be put full time into the service of our needs. Some of the ideas might seem a little controversial (because of our preconceived ideas) but we must be open minded...!

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
SEX. Biology teaches that sex is meant to be had. To put restrictions on sex is as silly as putting restrictions on which chair to sit. And like chairs, women are meant to be pneumatic. "Oh, she’s a splendid girl. Wonderfully pneumatic. I’m surprised you haven’t had her."

Le meilleur des mondes by Aldous Huxley
BIRTH. Why should modern man have to put up with it? Any informed person will affirm it is gross: all meat and blood and pain. Science will solve this problem with advances in reproductive technology: thinking outside the box. "Which brings us at last," continued Mr. Foster, "out of the realm of mere slavish imitation of nature into the much more interesting world of human invention."

Прекрасният нов свят by Aldous Huxley
CHILDREN. If you've been to a supermarket you will have seen plenty of bad parenting. How often have you wanted to step in and rectify the situation? Let's take the important job of citizen building out of the hands of amateurs. There's a good reason some of the foulest language we use involve the word *Mother*. "Psychically, [home] was a rabbit hole, a midden, hot with the frictions of tightly packed life, reeking with emotion. What suffocating intimacies, what dangerous, insane, obscene relationships between the members of the family group! Maniacally, the mother brooded over her children (her children) … brooded over them like a cat over its kittens; but a cat that could talk, a cat that could say, "My baby, my baby," over and over again."

Admirável Mundo Novo by Aldous Huxley
PEACE OF MIND. This is something we all want. Yet we must contend with traffic jams, lost cellphones, and raised voices. The frustration you feel is the result of a chemical reaction in your brain. Thus it is only natural that Science should offer a chemical solution. "A gramme in time saves nine"

Brave New World (Level 6 RLA Longman Reader) by Aldous Huxley
DEATH. The problem here is not death per se. It is our poor attitude toward it. Rigorous psychology will help us achieve complete indifference and thus free up a lot of wasted time. "...what fatal mischief he might do to these poor innocents? Undoing all their wholesome death-conditioning with this disgusting outcry—as though death were something terrible, as though any one mattered as much as all that!"

Schöne neue Welt by Aldous Huxley
BOOKS. These are only needed for reference and factual information. Reading in itself is profoundly antisocial. And, although there is little danger of anyone actually reading Shakespeare, his works are especially egregious in provoking time wasting thoughts."Do they read Shakespeare?" asked the Savage as they walked, on their way to the Bio-chemical Laboratories, past the School Library. "Certainly not," said the Head Mistress, blushing. "Our library," said Dr. Gaffney, "contains only books of reference. If our young people need distraction, they can get it at the feelies. We don’t encourage them to indulge in any solitary amusements."

Brave New World (Modern Classics) by Aldous Huxley
RELIGION. The absurdity of religion is self-evident, as every nonconforming individual knows. If there must be faith, let it be bright. Let it be in science. "As if one believed anything by instinct! One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them. Finding bad reasons for what one believes for other bad reasons—that’s philosophy. People believe in God because they’ve been conditioned to believe in God."

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
LOVE. Love is the unifying idea in each of the above themes - certainly the most destructive concept ever to exist. Shakespeare of course has been largely responsible for its glorification. Brave New World is a world without pain, without hunger, with total comfort. It is a world without love.
"Community, Identity, Stability."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

Quotes B0nnie Liked

Aldous Huxley
“She looked at Bernard with an expression of rapture, but of rapture in which there was no trace of agitation or excitement—for to be excited is still to be unsatisfied. Hers was the calm ecstasy of achieved consummation, the peace, not of mere vacant satiety and nothingness, but of balanced life, of energies at rest and in equilibrium. A rich and living peace.”
Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

Aldous Huxley
“...everybody happy and no one ever sad or angry, and every one belonging to every one else...”
Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henry (new) - added it

Henry Avila Beautifully written, Bonnie.

B0nnie Henry, thanks.

B0nnie Kat, I don't know what to say...!

Michael Nice parcellation! I reread it last year and was surprised how creepy the well oiled society felt despite not having the heavy handed oppression of Big Brother in 1984 (written 15 yrs after Brave New World during the Cold War). I was also surprised how the big-shot social architect of the society at the end that reveals himself to a humane and almost bumbling Wizard-of-Oz figure.

B0nnie Michael wrote: "Nice parcellation! I reread it last year and was surprised how creepy the well oiled society felt despite not having the heavy handed oppression of Big Brother in 1984 (written 15 yrs after Brave ..."

Michael thanks. Ha, yes. And he's Mr. Spock (in the movie). I love the Wizard of Oz even though it's as creepy as BNW. But I get your point. Mustapha Mond certainly doesn't have the menacing quality of O'Brien. What is most terrifying in BNW is how inhuman it all is.

Melki Well done. I love how you used the various covers.

Kris So creative, Bonnie! You are masterful at looking at classic books with a fresh eye.

Jonathan Really great review, I loved this book because of how it turned daily life into an act of consumerism and in so doing showed how life lived like that is devoid of as you say love or rather any life at all. I heard that it was Alduous Huxley's response to the ideas of Fordism being applied to daily life. I really like how you break everything down like that in this review and kind of advertise those ideas so that you can see how the book rejects them!

Manny Is this review ironic? I'm not sure.

B0nnie Jonathan wrote: "Really great review, I loved this book because of how it turned daily life into an act of consumerism and in so doing showed how life lived like that is devoid of as you say love or rather any life..."

Jonathan, thanks. You've written a nice mini review right there in your comment. On Huxley's response to the ideas of Fordism: apparently he was influenced by Edith Wharton's book Twilight Sleep. They patted each other on the back about it...she wrote to him that BNW is a "masterpiece of tragic indictment of our ghastly age of Fordian culture", and he writes back that she had already "put the case" in Twilight Sleep. Twilight Sleep btw is also the name of a drug they used to give women in labour - a drug which didn't really get rid of the pain but made you forget it afterwards!

B0nnie Manny wrote: "Is this review ironic? I'm not sure."

No, no, no...I would never dare risk the dangers of irony!

B0nnie Kris wrote: "So creative, Bonnie! You are masterful at looking at classic books with a fresh eye."

You are too kind, Kris!

B0nnie Melki wrote: "Well done. I love how you used the various covers."

Melki, I judge a book by its covers...

switterbug (Betsey) Re Religion. AMEN!!! LOL Super review, Bonnie. Love how you divided up in main topics and told it like it is.

message 15: by knig (new)

knig From yor review, I'm beginning to wonder if Huxley wasn't shamelessly pimping straight from Plato's 'Republic'.

Jeffrey Keeten Got to love pneumatic women!!! Wonderful Bonnie, creative and thought provoking well once I stopped thinking about, you know, pneumatics.

sckenda I want sin! I want God! I want Shakespeare! (this is a paraphrase from my memory of a passage from this book that I read more than a decade ago, but it still haunts me.) Great review as always, Bonnie.

B0nnie switterbug (Betsey) wrote: "Re Religion. AMEN!!! LOL Super review, Bonnie. Love how you divided up in main topics and told it like it is."

Thanks switterbug

B0nnie Knig-o-lass wrote: "From yor review, I'm beginning to wonder if Huxley wasn't shamelessly pimping straight from Plato's 'Republic'."

Knig, it seems all utopias - and dystopias - must thank Plato.

B0nnie Jeffrey wrote: "Got to love pneumatic women!!! Wonderful Bonnie, creative and thought provoking well once I stopped thinking about, you know, pneumatics."

Jeffrey, I'm not sure what pneumatic women are. Springy? A woman is to be used and praised as a well-designed and functional object?

B0nnie Steve wrote: "I want sin! I want God! I want Shakespeare! (this is a paraphrase from my memory of a passage from this book that I read more than a decade ago, but it still haunts me.) Great review as always, Bon..."

“But I don’t want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.”

“In fact,” said Mustapha Mond, “you’re claiming the right to be unhappy.”

“All right then,” said the Savage defiantly, “I’m claiming the right to be unhappy.”

Thank you Steve.

message 22: by Brian (last edited Oct 12, 2012 11:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brian Robbins My Ford! That's a great review, Bonnie.

message 23: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Great review Bonnie. And I thought pneumatic related to tyres!!

B0nnie Brian wrote: "My Ford! That's a great review, Bonnie."

Now don't take the Ford's name in vain Brian. Thanks!

B0nnie Paul wrote: "Great review Bonnie. And I thought pneumatic related to tyres!!"

Thanks Paul - you are on the right track...

Jonathan Thinking about this further I've decided this review is only needed for reference and factual information. The very idea of reviewing is not needed in our new society naturally :P

message 27: by Ally (new)

Ally Great review!

message 28: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim You're insane.

Steve Somers I read books which will force me to think. That is the function of literature and I can't help thinking those who read to be entertained don't understand what a book is for . Thank you for a fine precis